Monday, February 26, 2007

The World's Imbalance

How can we live in a world so imbalanced? Where one half of the world is trying to lose weight and one half is trying to gain weight? One half skips class and one half actually understands the value of education, where they don't wish for snow days (let alone have them), the pray and wish that they can go to school, make it to school. They walk miles, ride for hours all the while hoping they will not be raped, attacked, or caught in the middle of some unjust conflict. While we worry about what to wear the next day, they worry about what they will eat for the week. What has happened to fundamental human rights? When will food sovereignty be returned to these developing countries. How are the countries that produce the most amount of food for the the whole world, suffering from hunger and malnutrition? Haven't we all learned that the "trickle down" theory does not work!? When will distribution of wealth become just? Yes, globalization has allowed us to come a long way. It has allowed me to post this blog so millions all over the world can read it, but it has not allowed the coffee farmer from Ethiopia who spends 13 hours a day in the field anything. The people who are contributing to the world economy the most are gaining the least. Some may say this is a form of slavery. Transnational corporations controlling agricultural systems of peripheral and semi-peripheral countries for their advantage must come to an end.

Education
I always wished that I grew up in my country, because I feel as though I would appreciate my life more. When I see stories of people from impoverished countries who have come from nothing and have been through the unimaginable and all they want is to go to school, it hurts me because I then wonder, is that what it takes for me to value education? Must I go through hardship and struggle in order to not miss my French class tomorrow, just because "I'm tired". It troubles me that although I do value my education more than most people in the US and European countries might, my motivation is not as high. I have realized that with out education you can not go far in life and that I remind myself everyday as I walk those 10 minutes to class, that there are girls half way across the world walking hours to class, barefoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home